Mental Health Check List and Wellness Activities
It is Friday and that means it is time to talk about your week.
1. On a scale of 1-10 how was your week?
2. Did anything good happen this week? Tell us all about it.
3. What was especially challenging for you this week? Need to vent? Do it here. We want to listen.
In addition I wanted to start a weekly mental health checklist. There are a lot of things that can help to decrease the symptoms of depression. I have been trying to do some of these things myself. What helps one person might not help another, however. But it might be worth a try.
This week have you engaged in any of these mental wellness activities?
1. Did you exercise? Or do something fun which requires movement? There have been numerous studies to show the physical and mental benefits to getting regular exercise.
2. Did you eat healthy foods this week? We reported a news story where research shows that: "Mediterranean diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish, and nuts are less likely to develop depression than people who don't consume this type of diet."
3. Did you reach out and connect with friends this week? Did you accept the support of friends and loved ones?
4. Did you take time to feel gratitude for the good and positive elements in your life? They say that this act can decrease feelings of depression. Some people write in a daily or weekly gratitude journal, for example. A twist on taking a moment for gratitude is what is known as the George Bailey effect: "If you imagine the absence of those good things you normally take for granted, your brain will be suprised, and you may come to realize how good things really are."
5. Did you get a good night's sleep? Deborah Gray has reported on a study which showed that sleep deprivation can cause psychiatric disorders.
How many of these did you do this week?
I hope you all have had a good week and that you will enjoy this weekend. Spring is just around the corner and the weather seems to be more agreeable lately.
Let us know how you are doing. We are eager to hear from you!