Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Introducing Mood 24/7, a new tool that helps you track your mood from day to day using your mobile phone.Try it today!

Saturday, October 01, 2011 feelbetter311, Community Member, asks

Q: Did not have good experience w/ Cymbalta, experiencing deep stomach pains, huge appetite gain, and very nauseous all the time. Can I just stop and go back to my 20 mg. Paxil?

My doctor switched me from Paxil to Cymbalta because my body seemed to gotten used to Paxil after over 3 yrs. It never worked right but I though my body just had to get use to it. It's been 2 months now that I'm on 30 mg of Cymbalta and continue to experience deep stomach pain and very nauseous, I'm also experiencing a lot more anxiety and gain of appetite. I want to go back to my 20 mg Paxil but my doctor forgot to explain me how to switch back to the Paxil. Can I just switch cold turkey? Would I experience heavy withdrawals from Cymbalta? Thank you very much
Answer This
Answers (1)
Judy, Community Member
10/ 2/11 3:20pm

Hi, there.  We aren't medical professionals here, but I think it's very important that you, at the very least, call your doctor and find out what you should be doing.   If the Paxil had stopped working, your doctor may want you to try something else.  Even if you go back to the Paxil, there might be a specific way that is best to do it, perhaps by tapering off the Cymbalta gradually while re-introducing the Paxil, I don't know.  Please talk to your doctor, it's his job to help you in this situation.


Thanks for your question and hope you soon are feeling better.

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By feelbetter311, Community Member— Last Modified: 10/02/11, First Published: 10/01/11