Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Sunday, November 30, 2008 terrors, Community Member, asks

Q: is an A1c of 5.2 too low

i have been loosely following dr. bernstein's diet for about 10 months. My latest A1c was 5.2 and my dr. thought that was too low. He said recent studies have shown that too tight control or too low a A1c is as bad heart wise as a high A1c. That the benefit/risk of blood glucose levels was a U shaped curve where the problems associated with high A1c and low A1c climb the sides of the U. Do you know about any studies relating to this?

Answer This
Answers (2)
Cherise Nicole, Health Guide
12/ 1/08 11:15pm

Terrors-

 

Hello! I am a Diabetic and I have never heard of having a too low of a number. I know that anything under 6.0 is great and staying under 6.0 helps lower your risk of complications caused by diabetes. I do know it's not good to have yo-yo numbers, for instance if you have 60% of your glucose readings under let's say 80 and the other 40% your above 200; that's not good. Yo-yo'ing isn't healthy at all. That's why it's important to test your blood glucose levels so your Physician can see your trend. If you are maintaining great blood glucose levels averaging between 80-100 to go along with the A1C I think that's great, but I am not a Physician just a person living with Diabetes.  Hope this helps.

 

Cherise

Community Moderator

Reply
Massagemaniac, Community Member
1/ 5/09 3:32am
The normal range for A1c is 4 to 6. Therefore, 5.2 is fine and healthy. The study you are talking about was done on people that had much higher A1c to begin with, and the tight restrictions affected some adversely. Reply
Answer This

Important:
We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By terrors, Community Member— Last Modified: 12/18/10, First Published: 11/30/08