I am insulin resistant with polycysitc ovary syndrome and I gained 60 pounds in the past 18 months. My mom also has type 2. I just had an appointment with an endocrinologist, and she said to do the following:
- choose whole grain options always over bleached or white options (bread, pasta, brown rice etc) The high fiber content will help the body balance the carbs
- eat meals of 1-2 cups carbs, 4-6 oz meat or protein, and a large serving of veggies.
- Make sure to drink skim milk once a day, or low fat yogurt, the dairy is good
- Watch fat, but keep eating small amounts of healthy oils
- Research the Glycemic Index of the foods you are eating (you can find this by searching google for glycemic index, there are great sites that tell you what fruits and veggies are good too, some are not great)
- always eat the whole fruit or veggies, not a juice, as the fiber is important for processing the natural sugars
- eat 4-6 smaller meals rather than 2-3 big ones
- weight watchers is not bad, as long as you are also following these rules (I was already on weight watchers when I went to my appointment)
The great thing is, that the foods she recommended are less points than the ones I was eating, so I can actually eat more and feel better!
Hope this helps.