Original Posting: 12/26/2000
Q: The new year is coming and this time I really want to stick with the plan! But, I am afraid I fit in with the majority of the population and my good intentions dwindle after a few months. Can you give me some ideas for staying motivated for more than three months?
A: I wish I had a magic wand to wave over people who need motivation. It’s something we all need a little of now and then. But, I’m sorry to say there is no miracle cure. You need to find your inner strength; your reason to exercise. You have to be ready and willing to get out there and do the work.
So, let's assume that you're determined for all the right reasons and that you have put together a well-balanced, realistic and healthy plan. Here are some tips for sticking to it:
- Work out with a buddy who will keep you going when you're thinking of lounging on the sofa.
- Get your family and friends to support you. Tell them your plans and allow them to give you a nudge when they see you getting off track.
- Set specific goals and review them every week.
- Plan to do an event like a fitness walk or run.
- Keep a log of your progress. Seeing your improvement on paper can really give you a boost!
- Visit HealthCentral.com frequently for new ideas and tips!
- And most of all, remember that your body is making changes and your health improves with every step you take! It is so important to keep going! Think about all the chemical changes that are happening. The muscles are getting stronger, the fat burning enzymes are increasing... Better sleep, better rest, and better energy -- and doesn't it feel good!
Check out these other tips for getting motivated:
Best of health to you... stick with it! Remember that the end result is a healthier happier you! And that is worth all the effort!