Reversing heart disease is a matter of life and death. It is also a matter of eating heart-healthy foods that promote healing, slow the disease process, and improve cardiac function. Whether you are trying to prevent a heart attack or recover from a heart attack, improving your diet is a great place to start. Here is a list of foods that you should eat more of if you want to improve the health of your heart.
- Dark Chocolate: Cocoa-rich chocolate is packed with heart healthy polyphenols that can help to lower blood pressure and the amount of work the heart has to do. The risk of dying from heart disease is 66% lower in those eating dark chocolate twice a week and 44% lower in those eating dark chocolate once per week.
- Pomegranate Juice: The powerful antioxidants in pomegranate juice help to vastly improve blood flow to the heart muscle. This translates into a 50% reduction in angina symptoms in those with severe heart disease.
- Red Wine: Mild red wine consumption has been linked to lowering the risk of heart attacks, congestive heart failure and stroke.
- Black and Green Tea: Both black and green tea come from the same leaves on Camellia sinensis. Both contain compounds that protect the heart, reduce cholesterol, and slow the heart disease process. Drinking tea can also improve blood flow too.
- Dark Green Leafy Vegetables: One of the most important chemicals produced in your body that protects your heart is Nitrous Oxide (NO). It serves as a signal in the body that causes the smooth muscles in your arteries to relax, thereby lowering blood pressure and cardiac work load. Your chances of developing heart disease are lower the less work your heart has to do and the easier blood flows to the working heart muscle. The dark green leafy foods are loaded with NO. Vegetables like kale, swiss chard, arugula, spinach, bok choy, chicory, and dark green lettuce all help to protect and help your heart.
Of course, diet is not the only way to reverse heart disease, but it’s a great starting point. The addition of exercise, meditation, improved sleep, and more water consumption can also vastly reduce your risk of heart disease or reverse the heart disease that already exists. A long life is more enjoyable if you have a healthy heart.
For more information about reversing heart disease without the use of medications please reference the following books:
1) The Nitric Oxide Solution; Bryan, N., Zand, J; 2010; Neogenis
2) Dr. Dean Ornish’s Program for Reversing Heart Disease; Ornish, D.; 1995
3) The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Even Conducted; Campbell, T., Campbell, T., Lyman, H., Robbins, J; 2006
Published On: March 03, 2014