If you’ve been following health trends over the past few years, you may have heard about latest technology in the sauna world. They are called infrared saunas and they are designed to mimic the invisible rays that come from the sun, providing a means of detoxification without the discomfort typically experienced in traditional saunas. Originally invented in Finland, people have been sitting in saunas for the last few thousand years with the accurate belief that sweating leads to better health. However, with the invention of the infrared sauna, research shows that the health benefits are 5x stronger than those produced by a traditional sauna. They are also less expensive, making it easy to have one at home to reap the benefits of daily use.
The key difference between infrared and traditional saunas is the way in which the room is heated. In a traditional sauna, the temperature ranges from 180 to 220 degrees Fahrenheit, making some people susceptible to heat produced side effects such as weakness, nausea, increased heart rate, dizziness and headaches. They are typically heated using electricity, gas or wood and produce a humid or wet heat. Alternatively, infrared saunas are heated with special infrared lights that emit longer wavelengths than those of visible light in which the heat is absorbed by the skin 1.5 to 2 inches into the body. This means that instead of heating the body from the outside in, as is the case with traditional saunas, the heat penetrates very deeply to heat the body from the inside out. For this reason, only 20% of the heat is heating the air and the air is much drier. The other 80% goes directly to the body, making it effective at a much lower temperature of 100 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. This allows for longer sessions, relaxing sessions, stronger detoxification and a feeling of being invigorated instead of depleted.
The benefits of infrared sauna use are extensive and many research studies have supported health improvements from the regular use of saunas. As your core body temperature rises, your heart begins to beat faster and your blood circulation increases. This means that your lymphatic, immune and cardiovascular systems are all stimulated, affecting every organ in the body, and the toxins begin to release through the sweat glands. This is extremely important due to the high level of contaminants we accumulate daily from our food, water and air, which consequently affects our mind, emotions and physical health. The types of toxins eliminated include heavy metals (lead, mercury, nickel and cadmium), alcohol, nicotine, sulfuric acid, organic/non-organic compounds, pesticide residues and other chemicals. The use of a sauna can also kill viruses, microbes and even cancer cells, making it beneficial for any treatment plan. 
The increased blood circulation also boosts the metabolism, burns calories and begins to reduce cellulite by accumulating liquids in the fat cells that lay just under the surface of the skin. Infrared saunas are also effective for reducing pain associated with arthritis, joint stiffness, aches and soreness caused by active use of the muscles as well as old age. The effects of the sauna experience can also be amplified with the supplementation of electrolytes such as calcium, magnesium and potassium. A massage while sitting in the sauna is also quite beneficial. 
The great news about infrared saunas is that you can purchase one for home use for as little as $3-4K. Keep in mind that it’s important to look for one in which the electrical magnetic field (EMF) is kept to a minimum or even non-existent. It’s also important that the sauna have infrared lamps at both the front and the back of the room in order to raise your body temperature and detox effectively. Infrared saunas made of cedar provide a naturally antimicrobial, antibacterial and anti-fungal environment for optimal health benefits. 
Once you have your sauna begin slowly with up to 4 minutes of exposure time and then gradually increase that by 30 seconds each session until you are able to spend 15-30 minutes daily (or twice daily). This will prevent you from detoxifying too quickly in the beginning and guarantee the best results.
 Cousens, G. (2009, January 15). Infrared saunas[Web]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWhDZ2BNbYQ
 Mercola, J. (2012, March 21). 17 micrograms of this in your body lowers your IQ by 10 points. Retrieved from http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/03/21/dr-clement-on-detoxification.aspx
 Oz, M. (n.d.) High-tech ways to extend your life. Retrieved from http://www.oprah.com/health/Life-Extension-Technology-and-Tissue-Regeneration/3
 (n.d.) Retrieved from http://www.infraredsauna.com/
 (n.d.) Retrieved from http://www.longevitywarehouse.com/Clearlight-Cedar-Saunas-Cedar-Model-IS-2-p/clcedaris2.htm
Published On: December 25, 2012