Week 4: Overcoming (Several) Obstacles

breejoy2 Health Guide
  • Week four of my 2013 health journey has proven to be the most difficult one yet. Early in the week, I was well into an intense workout when the unthinkable happened. I was doing one of my “Sandy” crossfit workouts which included four rounds of alternating 10 box jumps and quarter mile sprints, when I once again missed the box on the way up. If you recall, this happened to me more than a year ago, and put me out of commission for a quite some time. This time it was even worse. I came down so hard on my shin on the edge of the box that I swear I saw a flash of white and nearly threw up from the pain. I recovered without falling and the guy standing near me ran over, much like last time, and asked if I was ok. Too full of pride to say no, I laughed it off and then proceeded—like a complete idiot—to complete my set, jumping at least nine more times. When I was through and the guy had moved on to another area of the gym, I tried to hobble over to the front desk but ended up collapsing on the floor in front of the triceps machine. Grasping my shin, I unsuccessfully fought back tears. Ten minutes later I was in the locker room, forlorn and holding an ice pack to my rapidly swelling shin. You should see the bruise four days later. Gross.

    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:


    Because of my injury, I’ve had to take it easy on the exercise this week. I did try out my new Pilates video the morning after the box jump fail, and I really liked it. Goodbye Mari Windsor 1995; hello, Lisa Hubbard! Other than that and a little hooping and walking the dog, I’ve been pretty stationary. So that really sucks. And to add insult to the literal injury, I woke up with the flu this morning. Me! The flu! How can this be? Ever since the entire universe has been getting sick this winter, I have been faithfully pumping all my hippie-witch doctor-voodoo meds: colloidal silver, olive leaf, vitamins…you name it. It seemed to be working. I get sick customers nearly every day, so I thought I was immune after so long of being symptom-free. But this morning, I woke up with what felt like the world’s most epic hangover, and I haven’t had one sip of alcohol since January 2nd. The headache was relentless. I went to get my hair cut and was supposed to meet a friend after, but I was so nauseous on the way over that I went straight home and to bed instead. I woke up a few hours ago and have been couch surfing ever since. Thank goodness I still have an appetite but what I really want (ice cream) I can’t have. Sugar feeds sickness, after all, so I have to fight the craving. I did have a little fruit earlier and some beef/vegetable stir fry for dinner.


    I guess this is just one of those weeks where when it rains it pours. I’m hopeful that now that I have several doses of Oscillococcinum (a homeopathic flu remedy…read more here: http://www.oscillo.com/ ) in me, my recovery will be quick and I can get back to my very positive new lifestyle. My headache is already fading, thank goodness. I have the day off tomorrow so I am going to spend it resting, which will give me a good opportunity to check out some new recipes and make next week’s meal plan. I found a great website for grain-free cooking and I’m really considering trying out some things I would never have thought of doing before, like baking a loaf of bread using almond flour. I recently discovered that even though I am currently not eating cow’s dairy, I can still have ghee (clarified butter) because the milk proteins have been removed. So I can’t think of anything better than enjoying a guilt-free loaf of warm bread and some delicious melty ghee! By the way, despite all of my roadblocks, I am now down almost eight pounds. This is a fabulous motivator and I can’t wait to feel better and keep things going.

Published On: January 29, 2013