Let me make an emphatic statement!
Everyone who is trying to lose weight should be involved in a resistance training program!
Before I give you 5 reasons why, let me here is a simple definition of resistance training:
Resistance Training - engagement in movements against a force. This can include movements such as pushing, pulling, curling, squatting, pressing etc...Forces could include dumbbells, bands, weights, barbells, gravity and even you own body weight.
Now that we are clear on the definition of resistance training here are the 5 reasons why resistance training will help you lose weight:
1. Increased Post Workout Calorie Burn: After a resistance training workout you will have an accelerated caloric burn for 24-48 hours. If you only participate in a cardio training program this accelerated burn will only last for 2-3 hours.
2. Increased Anaerobic Energy: Anaerobic Energy is the amount of energy that your muscles have in them. When you increase the amount of energy your muscles have you can work harder and burn calories for a longer period of time.
3. Increased Mobility and Strength Gain: Proper Resistance Training will increase your mobility, range of motion and strength which will make it more appealing for you to move more. As a result you will burn more calories throughout the day.
4. Increased Core Activation: A proper resistance training program will teach you how to properly activate you core muscles. When you begin to activate your core muscles more often during your daily activity you will burn multiple times more calories because you will have multiple times more muscle fibers in turn burning tons of calories.
5. Improved Joint Positioning: A proper resistance training program will help to improve your muscle imbalance therefore your joints will be better positioned. When your joints are better positioned you will definitely feel better and increase you daily activity, as a result you will burn more calories and lose weight faster.
As a personal trainer all of my clients undergo a rigorous resistance training that is one part of their entire weight loss training program. I encourage everyone who wants to lose weight become involved in a proper resistance training program.
I hope this helps!
Jason Chiero, CPT
Published On: December 01, 2009