Improving your family's diet need not be difficult. One reason
why -- it's the little things that make the difference.
With this in mind, we are pleased to offer these 47 tips. They
are designed to help you increase the vegetables and whole grains
your family eats, while decreasing the fat, salt and sugar
consumed. If you're really serious about changing your family's
diet, clip this page and post it on your refrigerator as a daily
reminder for everyone.
INCREASING WHOLE GRAINS
- Substitute whole-wheat flour for bleached white flour when
- Switch to whole-wheat pasta and pizza.
- Top casseroles with wheat germ or whole wheat bread
- Serve bran-based cereals, or those made from shredded
- Serve imaginative whole-grain side dishes (bulgur, kasha,
etc.) instead of egg noodles.
- Substitute brown rice for white rice.
- Serve whole wheat sandwich bread, English muffins instead of
- Offer crackers and corn chips containing whole grains.
- Incorporate whole grains into your pancake batter.
- Substitute lemon juice or herbs for salt when cooking pasta
- Rinse and drain canned tuna or other fish packed in salted
- Avoid cooking with soy or Worcestershire sauce.
- Avoid using prepared biscuit or cake mixes.
- Substitute spices, lemon juice or herbed vinegar for
- Substitute a pepper/spice blend for salt on the table.
- Substitute garlic or onion powder for garlic or onion
- Avoid using products that contain monosodium glutamate.
- Use unsalted or low-salt vegetable broths and products.
- Eliminate or decrease the salt in non-yeast baking
- Learn to properly steam vegetables.
- Thicken soups, stews and sauces with pureed
- Use frozen, not canned vegetables when fresh are
- Add the following to your garden sales: green peppers,
broccoli, cauliflower and red cabbage
- Treat vegetables gently: Bruised produce means vitamin
- Incorporate generous amounts of chopped vegetables in
your poultry stuffing.
- Decrease the meat and increase the vegetables called
for in stews and casseroles.
- Add grated carrots, zucchini or cabbage to chili and
- Offer washed and trimmed carrot and celery stick for
- Add finely grated carrots, pumpkin, or zucchini to
baked breads and cakes.
- Cook with less fat by using non-stick skillets.
- Blot all fried meats on paper towels.
- Use tuna packed in water instead of oil.
- Add a spoon of water or broth as needed instead of more
fat when sautŽing onions and vegetables.
- Substitute low-fat yogurt for mayonnaise.
- Substitute ground turkey for ground beef.
- Trim all visible fat from beef, pork and poultry.
- Roast meat on a rack and discard fat drippings.
- Brown ground meat without using extra fat by starting
out on medium heat before raising the temperature too
- Spoon off excess fat from browning meats as cooking
- Choose canned fruits packed in water instead of heavy
- Use only fresh-frozen fruit without added sugar if
fresh is unavailable.
- Make your own granola cereal instead of purchasing
- Cut the sugar called for in most recipes by one-third
- Sweeten waffles and quick breads with cinnamon,
cardamom and vanilla or almond extracts.
- Add pureed banana to baked goods and reduce the
- Avoid commercial pudding mix - instead, make your
- Mix plain yogurt with fruit juice concentrates or
freshly pureed fruits, instead of using pre-flavored