To prevent heartburn, avoid foods and beverages that may trigger your symptoms. These include alcohol, caffeine, carbonated beverages, chocolate, citrus fruits and juices, tomatoes, tomato sauces, spicy or fatty foods, full-fat dairy products, peppermint, and spearmint.
Also, try the following changes to your eating habits and lifestyle:
- Don't smoke
- Sleep with your head raised about 6 inches
- Lose weight if you are overweight
- Reduce stress
- Avoid garments or belts that fit tightly around your waist
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Avoid bending over or exercising just after eating
- DO NOT lie down with a full stomach. For example, avoid eating within 2-3 hours of bedtime
- Eat smaller meals
Review Date: 01/23/2006
Reviewed By: Jenifer K. Lehrer, MD, Department of Gastroenterology, Frankford-Torresdale Hospital, Jefferson Health System, Philadelphia, PA. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.