Lung surgery is surgery to repair or remove lung tissue. Several common lung surgeries are:
- Lobectomy, to remove one or more lobes of a lung
- Wedge resection, to remove part of a lobe in a lung
- Pneumonectomy, to remove a lung
- Surgery to remove an infection or blood in the chest cavity
- Surgery to remove small balloon-like tissues (blebs) that cause lung collapse (
- Biopsy of an unknown growth
A thoracotomy is a surgical cut that a surgeon makes to open the chest wall.
Bronchoscopy Esophagectomy Lung biopsy Lung transplant
Thoracotomy; Lung tissue removal; Pneumonectomy; Lobectomy; Lung biopsy; Thoracoscopy; Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery; VATS
You will receive
Lung surgery using a thoracotomy is called open surgery. In this surgery:
Review Date: 05/17/2010
Reviewed By: Shabir Bhimji, MD, PhD, Specializing in Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Midland, TX. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.