Autistic behavior describes behavioral patterns similar to those seen in
Autistic behavior includes:
- Abnormal socialization (lack of need for interacting with others)
- Abnormal speech patterns
- Absent or poorly-developed verbal and nonverbal communication skills (inability to clearly express thoughts and needs)
- Social withdrawal
- Inability to make friends
- Repetitive body movements
- Ritualistic behavior
- Lack of eye contact
Several infections and nervous system (neurological) diseases can produce symptoms like those of autism.
- Infantile autism
- Metabolic degenerative CNS (
central nervous system) disorders Schizophrenia
Review Date: 04/25/2008
Reviewed By: Neil K. Kaneshiro, MD, MHD, Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.