- Draining sores in the skin, especially on the chest wall from lung infection with Actinomyces
- Minimal or no pain
- Swelling or a hard, red to reddish-purple lump on the face or upper neck
- Weight loss
Signs and tests
- Culture of the tissue or fluid shows Actinomyces species.
- Examination of drained fluid under a microscope shows "sulfur granules" in the fluid. They are yellowish granules made of clumped organisms.
- Examination under a microscope shows the Actinomyces species of bacteria.