Most often, the worms stay in muscles and do not cause symptoms.
Symptoms that do occur depend on where the infection is found:
- Brain lesions can result in
seizuresor symptoms similar to those of a brain tumor.
- Eye lesions can cause decreased vision or blindness.
- Heart lesions can lead to abnormal heart rhythms or heart failure (rare).
- Spine lesions can lead to weakness or changes in walking.
Signs and tests
Tests that may be done include:
- Blood tests to detect antibodies to the parasite
Biopsyof the affected area CTscan, MRIscan, or x-raysto detect the lesion
- Spinal tap (lumbar puncture)