Eyelid spasm; Eye twitch; Twitch - eyelid; Blepharospasm
Eyelid twitching usually disappears without treatment. In the meantime, the following steps may help:
- Get more sleep.
- Drink less caffeine.
- Lubricate your eyes with eye drops.
If twitching is severe, small injections of botulinum toxin can temporarily cure the spasms.
The outlook depends on the specific type or cause of eyelid twitch. In some cases, the twitches usually stop within a week.
Permanent eye injury from unrecognized cornea injury is possible, but rare.
Calling your health care provider
Call your primary care doctor or eye doctor (ophthalmologist, optometrist) if:
- Eyelid twitching does not go away within 1 week
- Twitching completely closes your eyelid
- Twitching involves other parts of your face
- You have redness, swelling, or a discharge from your eye
upper eyelid is drooping