Budd-Chiari syndrome; Hepatic veno-occlusive disease
Treatment varies, depending on the cause of the blockage.
- Blood-thinning (anticoagulation) medications
- Clot-busting drugs (thrombolytic treatment)
- Treatment for the liver disease, including ascites
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (
- Venous shunt surgery
Hepatic vein obstruction can get worse and lead to liver failure, which can be life-threatening.
Calling your health care provider
Call your health care provider if:
- You have symptoms of hepatic vein obstruction
- You are being treated for this condition and you develop new symptoms