Pneumonia - hydrocarbon
Those with mild symptoms may need to be seen by doctors in an emergency room, but may not require a hospital stay.
Persons with moderate and severe symptoms are normally admitted to the hospital, occasionally to an intensive care unit (ICU).
Hospital treatment may include:
- Breathing tube
Most children who drink or inhale hydrocarbon products and develop
- Secondary bacterial infections
Calling your health care provider
If you know or suspect that your child has swallowed or inhaled a hydrocarbon product, take them to the emergency room immediately. DO NOT use ipecac to induce vomiting.
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.