Fracture of the nose; Broken nose
- Reassure the patient and try to keep the patient calm.
- Have the patient breathe through the mouth and lean forward in a sitting position in order to keep blood from going down the back of the throat.
- Apply cold compresses to the nose to reduce swelling. If possible, the patient should hold the compress so that there isn't too much pressure on the nose.
- To help relieve pain, acetaminophen (Tylenol) is recommended.
- Do NOT try to straighten a broken nose.
- Do NOT move the person if there is reason to suspect a head or
Call immediately for emergency medical assistance if
Get medical help right away if:
- Bleeding will not stop
- Clear fluid keeps draining from the nose
- You suspect a
blood clotin the septum
- You suspect a neck or
- The nose looks deformed
- The person is having