Essential thrombocythemia; Essential thrombocytosis
- Bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract,
respiratorysystem, urinary tract, or skin
- Bleeding from the gums
- Bleeding (prolonged) from surgical procedures or tooth removal
- Nosebleeds (
- Numbness of the hands or feet
- Ulcers on the fingers or toes
The condition may even cause
Signs and tests
This condition is often detected on blood tests done for other reasons, before there are any symptoms.
A physical exam may show an enlarged spleen or liver. There may be abnormal blood flow in the toes or feet, as well as skin damage caused by that abnormal blood flow.
Other tests may include:
Bone marrow aspirationand biopsy CBC
- Genetic tests (to look for a change in the JAK2 gene)
- Uric acid level