Vincent's stomatitis; Acute necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis
- Crater-like ulcers between the teeth
- Foul taste in the mouth
- Gums appear reddened and swollen
- Grayish film on the gums
- Painful gums
- Profuse gum bleeding in response to any pressure or irritation
Note: Symptoms often begin suddenly.
Signs and tests
The health care provider will look at your mouth for signs of trench mouth:
- Crater-like ulcers filled with plaque and food debris
- Destruction of gum tissue around the teeth
- Inflamed gums
There may be a gray film caused by broken down (decomposed) gum tissue. Occasionally, there may be fever and swollen lymph nodes of the head and neck.
This disease may also be tested for by a