Viral pneumonia is inflammation (irritation and swelling) of the lungs due to infection with a virus.
Atypical pneumonia Influenza Respiratory syncytial virus
Pneumonia - viral; "Walking pneumonia" - viral
Causes, incidence, and risk factors
Viral pneumonia is most often caused by one of several viruses:
- Respiratory syncytial virus
People who are at risk for more serious viral pneumonia often have a weakened immune system, including:
- Adult HIV/AIDS patients
- Babies who are born too early
- Children with heart and lung problems
- People receiving chemotherapy for cancer, or other medications that weaken the immune system.
- Organ transplant recipients