Thursday, October 30, 2014
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 lynn, Community Member, asks

Q: can women get penile implants?

im a woman who wants to become a man. im wondering what i have to do to get the full experience and if its even possible.

Answer This
Answers (3)
healthgal, Health Pro
9/ 9/08 11:50pm

There are transgender surgical specialists - one I know of is at Cedar Sinai medical Center in LA - Dr. Gary Alter - try contacting him through the surgery department there to get some more information.  Also google "sex reassignment surgery."

Vicki M, Health Guide
10/22/08 11:52am

Hi Lynn,


You have some major changes ahead for you, and while you know in your mind what you are and what you want to be, it will take some time to get you there. Here is some information about penile implants. There is information here about penile implants and here you can read about other alternatives should you decide later to have the implants removed, assuming it was determined to be a viable solution for you.


Remember that the male penis has a muscle structure to it and the penis that a surgeon creates for a transgendered male may not have the same ability to support a penile implant system.


Good luck and stay in touch! Let us know how you are doing.

Vicki M

David, Community Member
11/ 9/08 7:13pm

the most common device used in transgender patients is the ams ambicor. Usually the surgeon (urologist) disables one side of the prosthesis and inserts only one cylinder. The problem with this is that a phaloplasty (constructed penis) is big in nature and so it is very hard to conceil what looks like a permanent erection. The penis cannot be worn down the way when the prosthetic is implanted and so can look unsightly and be a source of embarressment to many patients. It can also pose possible risks if the patient is particularly active in day to day life as the pump mechanism jutts 1 inch into the base of the penis. falling on the stomach or getting hit between the legs can result in perferation of the pelvic organs or damage and even exposure through the skin of the penis. 

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By lynn, Community Member— Last Modified: 10/07/12, First Published: 09/09/08