All me want to be healthy, and in many cases, they try and take care of themselves by watching what they eat, getting exercise on a regular basis, and managing the stress in their lives. But many men are unaware that they can also take care of their sexual health and prevent problems before they occur.
Here are 10 tips for men to keep in mind for maximum sexual health:
- Eat a healthy diet – Many men are surprised to learn that what they eat can affect their sexual performance, but it does. By eating healthy foods that are rich in nutrients and low in fats, you will keep your “sexual” system in good working order. Strive for plenty of fruits and vegetables, lean cuts of meat, whole grains and low-fat milk.
- Get regular exercise – Men who live a “couch potato” lifestyle may soon find themselves with sexual problems. By “getting up and moving” you will be taking an active role in maintaining your sexual health. Check with your physician, and then start a program of regular exercise that includes walking, cycling, tennis or whatever you find enjoyable.
- Stop smoking – Many doctors agree that smoking can be a major cause of sexual dysfunction in men. Studies have found that a major of men who suffer from ED are smokers, and that smoking can also reduce sperm count and quality. Smoking damages the small arteries that feed blood to the penis, making it difficult at times to maintain an erection.
- Reduce your alcohol intake – While you may enjoy the buzz you feel when you drink alcoholic beverages, you are putting yourself at risk for ED. Alcohol may make you feel sexier by lowering inhibitions, but it also reduces libido, causes erection problems, and often times impairs the ability to have an orgasm.
- Learn to manage stress in your life – Stress can leave you feeling exhausted, worried, uptight and very nervous, and can also lead to sexual problems as well. If you allow stress to manage your life, instead of the other way around, your life will soon feel as if it is out of control. Learn stress management techniques, find ways to handle anger and sadness, and you will be doing your part to maintain your sexual health (and your sanity).