Whether you are feeling the pinch yourself or know someone who is, everyone knows that these are tough times, economically. Add to that the expense of holiday shopping, the excesses of holiday celebrations and the emotional baggage of dealing with sticky family relationships, and you've got some serious stress!
Anyone with herpes knows that stress can trigger an outbreak. So, it's important to minimize it so you won't be fighting an outbreak. Here are some ways to relax:
1. Pare down. Extravagance is out for most American households. Even if you are fortunate enough to not have the financial worries facing many people, doing LESS will definitely decrease your stress level. Be realistic about what you can or can do in regards to work, entertaining, going out.
2. Laugh. They say that laughter is the best medicine ... and it's true. People who laugh more, are healthier, happier and most important, less stressed.
3. Meditate (or pray). Find 5 minutes each day to close your eyes, turn on some music that makes you feel relaxed and just be...
4. Light a candle. I don't know about you, but I'm a firm believer in the power of aromatherapy. During this time of year, I light candles smelling of gingerbread! It makes me feel like curling up with a good book!
5. Cut BACK on the alcohol. I know, this one seems counterintuitive, but for many people, heavy drinking can bring on a herpes outbreak. So, enjoy a cup of holiday cheer, but limit you amounts to 1 or 2 glasses.
6. Listen to music. I LOVE to turn on holiday music, especially at night (or when I'm alone and can sing without embarrassing myself). It brings back pleasant memories of previous holiday seasons and helps me relax.
7. Watch your diet. Before you head to that cocktail party, eat a light, healthy snack. It will keep you from gorging on high fat, high calorie party fare which can put on pounds and cause heartburn. And, for some, certain foods trigger outbreaks, so be careful!
8. Let others help. This is a hard one for me. But letting go of managing EVERYTHING and doing it all is a sure fire way to reduce your stress!
9. Take a Vitamin. Don't forget to take your vitamins too - stress can wreak havoc with your immune system and there is nothing more stressful than trying to fight a cold with a house full of holiday guests.
10. Get a Good Night's Sleep. Easier said than done, but a good night's rest is just the trick to stave off stress.
Published On: January 05, 2009