• Michelle Michelle
    August 10, 2010
    My 9 yr old has a 90 distaolic
    Michelle Michelle
    August 10, 2010

    My son is 9 yrs old, 107 pds, and 54 in in height and has a blood pressure of 104/90 he has had his blood pressure taken on a few different occasions and each time it has been high...what do I need to be doing, should he be seeing a specialist?  My son is extremely active he just finished Allstar baseballs and is currently doing football 5 days a week, when football ends he moves on to the swim team which is also almost everyday.  Should I be taking him to a kidney doctor?


    Thanks Michelle



  • Lisa Nelson, RD, LN
    Health Pro
    August 23, 2010
    Lisa Nelson, RD, LN
    Health Pro
    August 23, 2010

    Hi Michelle,


    I'm not sure a specialist is needed at this point, but I would discuss with his primary pediatrician to determine if a referral is warranted. You are right to be considered. It's great he is physically active. I'd recommend looking at his diet. Try having him follow the DASH diet as closely as possible for a few weeks and monitor his blood pressure to see if there is any improvement.


    All the best,

    Lisa Nelson RD

    7 Natural Ways to Lower Blood Pressure


You should know Answers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition. Content posted by community members does not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media, which also reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate.