5 Surprising Sources of Sodium
As you work to lower high blood pressure, it's important to limit the sodium in your diet. Current recommendations say to limit your sodium intake to 2,300 milligrams (mg) per day or about 1 teaspoon of salt. For middle-aged adults or older, African Americans, and people with hypertension, the FDA suggests no more than 1,500 mg of sodium a day.
6 Habits for Women to Lower Blood Pressure
6 diet and lifestyle factors researchers identified that decreased high blood pressure risk in women.
Top Foods to Avoid with High Blood Pressure
With high blood pressure you want to have a diet low in sodium and fat, so here are the top foods you should really avoid.
Top 5 Myths about High Blood Pressure
We have heard it all before, "high blood pressure causes heart disease." The guidelines and treatments for high blood pressure (BP) have become so ingrained and commonplace that we take it for granted that it is being treated properly. But, like most health issues today, what we know about blood pressure has changed leaving many cases undiagnosed or under-treated. Here are several facts and myths about blood pressure and its treatment that conscientious health consumers should know.
- Do You Have High Blood Pressure?: Symptoms to Watch For Known as the "silent killer," high blood pressure or hypertension is a cardiovascular disease that is very difficult to detect. The symptoms and signs of high blood pressure are extremely subtle. You may live with the disease for many years without knowing that you have it. Undetected hypertension can lead to coronary heart disease, kidney failure, or stroke. Doctors suggest that you check your blood pressure on a regular basis, even if you're feeling fine.
- High Blood Pressure Risk Factors That YOU Can Control
- 7 Ways to Cut Salt from Holiday Meals
- Ten Things to Do This Month to Lower Your Blood Pressure It's a new year and a perfect time to reassess your heart health and steps you need to be taking to promote a lower blood pressure. Here are ten steps you can take this month to get started on the right path.
- 7 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Salt
5 New Studies Show What Raises and Lowers Your Blood Pressure
Most people know the basics of lowering blood pressure -- avoid sodium and exercise more often. However, new studies presented at the recent annual meeting of the American Society of Hypertension suggest there are new factors in our changing environment that could be having an impact.