I have Ulcerative Colitis. I am off all meds. I take omega 3 flaxseed oil, Intestinal Soothe and build, Multivitamin, Calcium-vitamin D, and VSL#3.
The VSL3 worked better than the asacol so I quit the asacol. VSL3 is a probiotic made by a pharmaceutical company. They have done studies to show that it helps heal the gut and reduce inflammation. People that had side effects from other meds that were taking this, healed within six weeks and maitained remission for twelve months.
The website is www.vsl3.com. The other website is www.naturessolution.com
So far, I have had no flare ups except once.
Try the Dr. David Klein Diet for UC.
This is a raw foods diet and when Dr. Klein was on this diet, his UC disappeared.
1. No Citrus fruits
2. No acidic foods
3. No Gluten
4. Nothing made from corn
5. No highly seasoned foods
6. No black pepper
7. No cow's milk
8. Everthing has to be organic
9. You should make smoothies and get a juicer.
10. The most healing foods are Bananas because they are soft.
11. No Asparagus because this is too rough. No nuts and seeds.
12. You can steam your broccoli if it is too rough raw.
13. No Beef, Pork
14. This is a plant based diet.
I bought a juicer and steamer/rice cooker. This is excellent.
I make lots of smoothies and juices. I mostly stay on soft foods. I do eat raw spinach, carrots, and goat cheese. I drink mostly water.