Migraine Finally Has an Awareness Color
One of the most frequent requests that people with Migraines have had has been to have a color to stand for Migraine awareness... a ribbon.. a wristband. Still, there wasn't a color that was recognized to stand for Migraine awareness, or headache awareness.
One of the problems is that there are several nonprofit organizations that represent us. None of them had ever chosen a color to stand for awareness, and they all use different signature colors in their logos and on their web sites. Plus, with several different organizations, none of them could really choose a color for everyone.
Could we have a bit of a soft drum roll here, please? Today, I'm pleased to announce that we can now consider purple to be the "official" awareness color for Migraine disease, cluster headaches, and all other headache disorders. Yes, it's true, finally!
Acting for all of us, I went to the major nonprofit organizations and asked them all to accept purple as our awareness color. Here are the reasons, I asked them to accept purple:
- In 2004, a group of Migraineurs had an awareness project selling purple silicone wristbands, the profits from which went to MAGNUM.
- On Facebook, Catherine Charrett-Dykes has been working to promote chronic Migraine awareness with a ribbon she created. It's a purple ribbon with a red stripe.
The following nonprofit organizations agreed and have endorsed purple as the awareness color for Migraine and all headache disorders:
- The American Headache Society (AHS)
- MAGNUM (The National Migraine Association)
- The Migraine Research Foundation (MRF)
- The National Headache Foundation (NHF)
- O.U.C.H (The Organization for Understanding Cluster Headache)
- The PFO Research Foundation
Purple, purple, purple!
Some of you are going to ask where you can get wristbands, bracelets, pins, and more. Please be patient. This just happened, and they're not yet available, but they will be soon. As items become available, I'll post and update you, I promise!
In the meantime...
If you have a Facebook page and would like to add a purple ribbon to your profile picture, you can do so through PicBadges or by clicking the PicBadges widget here.
A new web site has been launched to promote Migraine and headache awareness, FightingHeadacheDisorders.com. The site is also new and just getting started, so you can expect more to be added to it on a regular basis.
I hope you're as excited about this as I am and that you'll join me in "showing your purple" whenever you can.
Get the latest Migraine and headache news, informational articles, tips for living well, and more in my free weekly newsletter. To subscribe, CLICK HERE.