Heating and Cooling for Migraine Relief - Chillee and Heat N Chill
One of the most commonly used forms of symptomatic relief used by people with migraines and headaches is the application of heat and cold. Ice bags and gel packs are helpful, but they have drawbacks. They sweat and drip. They often don't stay warm or cold long enough.
I'm constantly on the lookout for products that heat or cool effectively and easily, as well as products that work well and conveniently when traveling. When we were in Los Angeles in June for the American Headache Society's annual scientific meeting, Cyndi Jordan had a cooling device that I'd never seen before. It was called a Chillee, and you can see it in the image here. The two on the right are the Chillee.
Whether it was coincidence or divine intervention is up for speculation, but lo and behold, the Chillee was actually for sale in the hotel gift shop. What's more, it was on sale for half price. Obviously, I had to have one! What was really fun is that the one I bought is purple, the awareness color for migraine and other headache disorders.
Some information about the Chillee:
- It runs on four AA batteries.
- It weighs eight ounces.
- The aluminum cooling plate cools to 41°F in 60 seconds.
- The back of the unit has a grille over an area that pulls in air. It's important that it not be blocked. If you have long hair, be sure that your hair doesn't cover it.
- By Violife.
The Heat N Chill Therapy Wand:
For those of us who like heat sometimes and cold sometimes, the wand on the left is a great choice. The Heat N Chill Therapy Wand cools like the Chillee, but the plate can also produce heat. Some details:
- It also runs on four AA batteries.
- It weighs eight ounces.
- The aluminum plate cools to 43°F.
- It also heats to 104°F.
- As with the Chillee, the back of the unit has a grille over an area that pulls in air. It's important that it not be blocked. If you have long hair, be sure that your hair doesn't cover it.
- By Atlantic Horizon International.
My Review of the Chillee and the Heat N Chill Therapy Wand:*
I'd give both the Chillee and the Heat N Chill Therapy Wand 4.5 out of 5 stars.
- Easily portable.
- They weigh just eight ounces.
- Both units cool quickly.
- The Heat N Chill Therapy Wand heats quickly.
- None of the mess that goes with gel packs or ice.
- The batteries. I far prefer for items that need power to utilize rechargeable batteries.
Finding the Chillee and the Heat N Chill Therapy Wand:
This information is for your convenience only; it's not a recommendation of a merchant on my part. You'll find it beneficial to look at the various sites where these devices are sold and compare prices, including shipping.
You can find the Chillee at:
- Violife website, violight.com
- There's a device that looks identical to the Chillee available on Verseo Beauty and Wellness.
- Walmart carries a similar device called a Chill Therapy Chill Therapist.
You can find the Heat N Chill Therapy Wand at:
- Sharper Image
*Please note: I have no affiliation with the companies who manufacture or sell these products. I purchased both a Chillee and a Heat N Chill Therapy Wand for my personal use.
Make a difference... Donate to the 36 Million Migraine Campaign!
Reviewed by David Watson, MD.
© Teri Robert, 2014, • Last updated August 6, 2014.