I was referred by a physical therapist and another doctor to a PT in my area who specializes in TMD especially, but who also treats people who have chronic migraines and fibromyalgia. (I have all three and this was a great match.) My insurance covers 75 visits, while my husband's only covers 25, so I then pay a co-pay after the 25 run out. I have been seeing him for several years with no problems until now.
The PT works with his brother, who sadly had a stroke. His brother is paralysed on my side, so he will not return to PT work. The office then is looking for a new PT. For two weeks, I have been seen by two different PTAs. One lady evidently had me do two new moves that left me in tears most of last week. My sternocleidomastoid muscles that are in front and back of our heads felt like they were on fire at various times they hurt so badly. Yesterday, I went on a cancellation and thought it was with Scott, only to have someone else. Hopefully I will not have a repeat pain performance. So far, so good.
After talking this over with my Mom, who works for a dentist, I decided to take her advice and ask that I only be seen by this PT. When I called today, I asked whether my appt next week is with him. Here, it's 50/50. It's like if he's available he'll see me. And the staff was told that he said I could be placed with a PTA. I stupidly did what Mom said not to -- explained. I told the lady about the problem with the first PTA and said I don't feel comfortable with just anyone. I was told to go to this PT based on his knowledge of my multiple pain problems. She said he can only see so many people since they are shorthanded and Monday I will have to talk with the PT. I thought (should have said it to her but didn't), "What? Do I wait until Monday, walk in and ask to speak to him before the appt?" She said she had someone in front of her so I needed to just talk to the PT Monday. I hung up and cried.
The usual MO is they take you back for ultrasound and heat and then the PT comes in. By that point, I would at least be paying for that part of the appt. It's not like at that point I can walk out. Here's what I ask my migraine connection family, "Should I fax a letter over with a request to the PT for him to have his staff give me a heads-up if he's not going to be able to care for me on the day I've made the appt. That way I can make a decision on whether I want to cancel." Honestly, I felt the last two times like the choices were taken out of my hands. And there are places he stretches well that they evidently don't have expertise in, esp. those muscle of the jaw area, that I know are worse for not having treatment.
I will appreciate your help. I guess I should have held my ground better. It's hard when you know your PT has got to be hurting b/c of his brother. The point my Mom was trying to make was it would be no different than if his brother moved. They'd have the same problem. As a patient, I am coming to a practice where I pay them for service, just like my other doctors. So hard though when my heart and my head are warring about what to do. Thanks in advance!