Husband experiencing severe headaches - doctors who specialize?

Ask the Clinician Health Pro
  • Full Question:


    Need help, please.  My husband has been experiencing severe headaches in which the light and sound make them worse.  We have taken him to two different doctors.  They both say that he has some brain lesions, as well as the obvious severe headaches, but that after doing tests such as the spinal tap nothing is coming up in the lab results.  Is there a doctor out there who actually specializes in migraines of this magnitude?  Is there anything I can do to help him.  He does not drink, smoke, or do drugs.  They did prescribe him a headache pain pill, but now that is not even working.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:


    Thank you, Mrs. Burnett.





    Dear Mrs. Burnett;


    It's not unusual for nothing to show up in lab results when people have Migraine. The brain lesions may or may not be related to Migraine. Only your husband's doctor can speak to that, but you may want to take a look at this article that discusses such lesions - Is Migraine a Progressive Brain Disease?


    Regarding the "pain pill" that was prescribed for your husband -- Taking Migraine abortive meds such as the triptans or ergotamines or any kind of pain medication more than two or three days a week can make matters worse by causing medication overuse headache (MOH), aka rebound. See Medication Overuse Headache - When the Remedy Backfires for more information on this.


    Yes, there are doctors who specialize in Migraine diagnosis and treatment. It’s important to note that neurologists aren’t necessarily Migraine and headache specialists. Take a look at the article Migraine and Headache Specialists - What's So Special? If you need help finding a Migraine specialist, check our listing of Patient Recommended Migraine and Headache Specialists.


    Good luck,
    John Claude Krusz and Teri Robert



    To review other questions from our Ask the Clinician Column,
     browse the Ask the Clinician archives.


    If you need help finding a Migraine and headache specialist,
     visit our listing of Patient Recommended Specialists.



    About Ask the Clinician:

    Dr. Krusz is a recognized expert in the fields of headache and Migraine treatment and pain treatment. Each week, he and Lead Expert Teri Robert, team up to answer your questions about headaches and Migraines. You can read more about Dr. Krusz or more about Teri Robert.


    If you have a question, please click HERE. Accepted questions will be answered by publishing the answers here. Due to the number of questions submitted, no questions will be answered privately, and questions will be accepted only when submitted via THIS FORM. Please do not submit questions via email, private message, or SharePost comments. Thank you.


    Please note: We cannot handle emergencies or diagnose via the Internet. Please do not ask us to diagnose; see your physician for diagnosis.


    We hope you find this general medical and health information useful, but this Q & A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. For all personal medical and health matters, including decisions about diagnoses, medications and other treatment options, you should always consult your doctor. See full Disclaimer.


    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:

    Follow Teri on    or 


    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape© Teri Robert and J.C. Krusz, 2010.
    Last updated February 28, 2010.

Published On: February 28, 2010