7/2/07 #6 - How can I find a caring doctor for my 10 year old son?

Ask the Clinician Health Pro
  • Full Question:

    How can I find a caring doctor for my 10 year old son? He has been suffering with migraines for 2 1/2 years. His symptoms vary with each migraine. The duration, frequency and severity have increased. Some of his symptoms include: pain in his right eye, slurred speech, numbness/weakness in his limbs/face, vomiting, sensitivity to light/noise, and headaches. One neurologist has diagnosed him with hemiplegic while another says post-traumatic, complicated, chronic migraines. The doctors don't seem that concerned and are just ready to see their next patient. Our GP seems aggravated that I'm always asking for a referral or test approvals by the insurance. (We are currently fighting with insurance for a complete blood work up and a MRI/MRA). I'm constantly worried when the next one will hit and how bad it will be. After a really bad one, he can't do basic math skills and sometimes he will drag his leg. He says, "It's like I have to learn how to walk and talk again." It's heartbreaking. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Yvonne.

    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:



    Dear Yvonne;

    It’s time to take your son to a pediatric headache and Migraine specialist. Headache and Migraine can be rather different in children than adults, and their age and size needs to be taken into account when making treatment decisions. It may mean some travel for you, but it will be worth it to get your son the care he needs and deserves. There’s a link below to our listing of patient recommended specialists.


    Good luck,
    John Claude Krusz and Teri Robert

    If you need to find a headache and Migraine specialist, please see our listing of patient recommended specialists.

    About Ask the Clinician:

    Dr. Krusz is a recognized expert in the fields of headache and migraine treatment and pain treatment. Each week, he and Lead Expert Teri Robert, team up to answer your questions about headaches and Migraines. You can read more about Dr. Krusz or more about Teri Robert. If you have a question for this section of our site, please click HERE. Accepted questions will be answered by publishing the answers here. No questions will be answered privately.


    Please note: We cannot handle emergencies or diagnose via the Internet. Please do not ask us to diagnose; see your physician for diagnosis.


    We hope you find this general medical and health information useful, but this Q & A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. For all personal medical and health matters, including decisions about diagnoses, medications and other treatment options, you should always consult your doctor. See full Disclaimer.

Published On: July 02, 2007