Husband with 5-day headache. What to do next?

Ask the Clinician Health Pro
  • Full Question:

    My husband has had a headache for 5 days.  He was vomiting as well.  He went to the dr, at my insistance, and got some nausea and headache meds but he still has the headache.  He is persistantly tired.  Could it be a TIA or related to his type 2 diabetes?  I am not sure what I need to do next.  Do migranes last this long?  He is 61 and has never had a headache this long or been this disfunctional.  His BP was up at the Drs office and he is on medication for that as well as cholesteral.

    I got him to sit outside for a while yesterday but it was the first day he has been outside.   Headache was not as bad as when it began.  He said that it felt like something burst in the front of his head.  Dr checked for whether his reflexes were impared.

    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:

    I am just very worried and don't know what to do next. Kathie


    Dear Kathie;


    This headache could be many things. If his diabetes isn't well controlled, and his glucose levels are fluctuating, that could trigger a headache or a Migraine. TIAs can certainly cause headaches. If you have reason to think he's had a TIA, that should be investigated.


    Yes, a Migraine can last this long. Has he ever been diagnosed with Migraines?


    You mentioned that his blood pressure was up. That could cause a headache.


    What you need to do next is get a doctor to determine what this headache is so it can be treated appropriately. You don't say what his doctor said the headache is. Start by calling his doctor and letting him know that your husband still has this headache. If his doctor isn’t able to help, it may well be time to consult a Migraine and headache specialist. It’s important to note that neurologists aren’t necessarily Migraine and headache specialists. Take a look at the article Migraine and Headache Specialists - What's So Special? If you need help finding a Migraine specialist, check our listing of Patient Recommended Migraine and Headache Specialists.


    Good luck,
    John Claude Krusz and Teri Robert



    To review other questions from our Ask the Clinician Column,
     browse the Ask the Clinician archives.


    If you need help finding a  Migraine and headache specialist,
     visit our listing of Patient Recommended Specialists.



    About Ask the Clinician:

    Dr. Krusz is a recognized expert in the fields of headache and  Migraine treatment and pain treatment. Each week, he and Lead Expert Teri Robert, team up to answer your questions about headaches and  Migraines. You can read more about Dr. Krusz or more about Teri Robert.


    If you have a question, please click HERE. Accepted questions will be answered by publishing the answers here. Due to the number of questions submitted, no questions will be answered privately, and questions will be accepted only when submitted via THIS FORM. Please do not submit questions via email, private message, or SharePost comments. Thank you.


    Please note: We cannot handle emergencies or diagnose via the Internet. Please do not ask us to diagnose; see your physician for diagnosis.


    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:

    We hope you find this general medical and health information useful, but this Q & A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. For all personal medical and health matters, including decisions about diagnoses, medications and other treatment options, you should always consult your doctor. See full Disclaimer.


    Follow Teri on    or 


    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape© Teri Robert and J.C. Krusz, 2010.
    Last updated May 3, 2010.

Published On: May 03, 2010