Basilar-type Migraine - What to do until seeing neurologist?

Ask the Clinician Health Pro
  • Full Question:

    I have a few question to ask and hope you can help me. In 1996 I started with some headaches and it went to the point that I was seeing double. I am a truck driver and by just turning my head to look in my mirror when I was turning ahead I would see double for a few seconds and it went to the point that it would last longer. So I went to see my doctor and they run test and after almost a year of test an eliminating every thing else one neurologist told me I had basilar migraine. Since than its been pretty good but about 2 months ago it started again with same symptoms vertigo, nausea, trouble standing up. Its been bothering me since and right now I don't dare driving because of the problems. I went to see my doctor and waiting to go see a neurologist but what do I do in the mean time? Some days is ok but a lot of days I have pressure in the back of my neck and if I make fast movement I get nausea and vertigo. What would cause that and is it possible that it would bother me for the rest of my life. What should I do about work it maybe a few months before I can see a neurologist. Please help me I am 53 years old and drove trucks all my life. Don't know what to do about it. Vincent.

    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:


    Dear Vincent;


    Unfortunately, there's not much you can do until you see the neurologist and start treatment. You are quite right not to drive with these symptoms. It's advisable not to drive with any form of Migraine because of the effects a Migraine can have, not the least of which is slowed reflexes and responses.


    Do you work for a company that has any kind of short-term disability? If you work for a company (as opposed to being an independent driver), check with someone in the company's human resources department to see what options you might have. If the company doesn't have short-term disability benefits, but does have 50 or more employees, you can take time off under FMLA. The time wouldn't be paid, but would guarantee your job. For information on this, see When Migraines Make You Miss Work: Intermittent Leave under the FMLA.


    It certainly couldn't hurt to check out the neurologist you're supposed to see to be sure that he's well versed in treating Migraine. Migraine can be difficult to treat, especially the less common forms such as basilar-type Migraine. It would only make matters worse to wait months to see a doctor only to find that he has to refer you to yet another doctor. It’s important to note that neurologists aren’t necessarily Migraine and headache specialists. Take a look at the article Migraine and Headache Specialists - What's So Special? If you need help finding a Migraine specialist, check our listing of Patient Recommended Migraine and Headache Specialists.


    In the meantime, you can learn a bit about basilar-type Migraine in our article Basilar-Type Migraine - the Basics.


    Good luck,
    John Claude Krusz and Teri Robert



    To review other questions from our Ask the Clinician Column,
     browse the Ask the Clinician archives.


    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:

    If you need help finding a  Migraine and headache specialist,
     visit our listing of Patient Recommended Specialists.



    About Ask the Clinician:

    Dr. Krusz is a recognized expert in the fields of headache and  Migraine treatment and pain treatment. Each week, he and Lead Expert Teri Robert, team up to answer your questions about headaches and  Migraines. You can read more about Dr. Krusz or more about Teri Robert.


    If you have a question, please click HERE. Accepted questions will be answered by publishing the answers here. Due to the number of questions submitted, no questions will be answered privately, and questions will be accepted only when submitted via THIS FORM. Please do not submit questions via email, private message, or SharePost comments. Thank you.


    Please note: We cannot handle emergencies or diagnose via the Internet. Please do not ask us to diagnose; see your physician for diagnosis.


    We hope you find this general medical and health information useful, but this Q & A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. For all personal medical and health matters, including decisions about diagnoses, medications and other treatment options, you should always consult your doctor. See full Disclaimer.


    Follow Teri on    or 


    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape© Teri Robert and J.C. Krusz, 2010.
    Last updated June 21, 2010.

Published On: June 21, 2010