7/23/07 #9 - 12-year-old with severe headaches. Doctor won't prescribe because of age?

Ask the Clinician Health Pro
  • Full Question:

    My daughter is 12 years old and is experiencing severe headaches. They started about 3 weeks ago, every couple of days she would have a headache and she would have to lay down for a couple of hours for it to go away. The headaches have increased in severity and are coming almost daily. They are making her sleep constantly. I have been to my physician and they did a head CT. The results were negative, they also checked her sinus cavity and it to was negative. She has been tested for Mono, Strep, Diabetes, all came back negative, they also did blood work and here white blood cell count is fine and so is her iron. No over the counter drug works. She is not able to go to school and I don't know what to do. the doctors are not sure of what is causing the headaches so they won't prescribe anything. Can you give me any suggestions?

    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:





    Dear Concerned Mom;


    Find a headache and Migraine physician who isn't afraid to treat your daughter; at 12, she is medically an adult for dosing purposes. There's a link below to our listing of patient recommended specialists.


    Good luck,
    John Claude Krusz and Teri Robert


    If you need to find a headache and Migraine specialist, please see our listing of patient recommended specialists.


    About Ask the Clinician:

    Dr. Krusz is a recognized expert in the fields of headache and Migraine treatment and pain treatment. Each week, he and Lead Expert Teri Robert, team up to answer your questions about headaches and Migraines. You can read more about Dr. Krusz or more about Teri Robert. If you have a question for this section of our site, please click HERE. Accepted questions will be answered by publishing the answers here. No questions will be answered privately.


    Please note: We cannot handle emergencies or diagnose via the Internet. Please do not ask us to diagnose; see your physician for diagnosis.


    We hope you find this general medical and health information useful, but this Q & A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. For all personal medical and health matters, including decisions about diagnoses, medications and other treatment options, you should always consult your doctor. See full Disclaimer.

Published On: July 23, 2007