8/6/07 #6 - Migraine-specific medications during pregnancy?

Ask the Clinician Health Pro
  • Full Question:
    Could you please tell me which migraine medication is safe during pregnancy? I use Maxalt and it really helps. I am planning to have a baby within a year but I do not know what to do with my migraine attacks. Thank you, Basak.


    Dear Basak;

    The question of using migraine-specific therapy during pregnancy should be discussed with your obstetrician and your headache doctor. All manufacturers of "triptans" have Pregnancy Registries so patients on Maxalt or others can sign on. If the benefit outweighs the risk, that is called Pregnancy Category C, where Maxalt resides.

    Good luck,

    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:

    John Claude Krusz and Teri Robert

    If you need to find a headache and Migraine specialist, please see our listing of patient recommended specialists.

    About Ask the Clinician:

    Dr. Krusz is a recognized expert in the fields of headache and Migraine treatment and pain treatment. Each week, he and Lead Expert Teri Robert, team up to answer your questions about headaches and Migraines. You can read more about Dr. Krusz or more about Teri Robert.

    If you have a question, please click HERE. Accepted questions will be answered by publishing the answers here. Due to the number of questions submitted, no questions will be answered privately, and questions will be accepted only when submitted via THIS FORM. Please do not submit questions via email, private message, or SharePost comments. Thank you.

    Please note: We cannot handle emergencies or diagnose via the Internet. Please do not ask us to diagnose; see your physician for diagnosis.

    We hope you find this general medical and health information useful, but this Q & A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. For all personal medical and health matters, including decisions about diagnoses, medications and other treatment options, you should always consult your doctor. See full Disclaimer.

Published On: August 06, 2007