8/13/07 #6 - No triptans over 50?

Ask the Clinician Health Pro
  • Full Question:
    I am a woman of 63 years and have had migraines for years. They have gotten much better since I got off of progesterone/estrogen and changed my eating lifestyle but I still get them every month or so. I have tried a lot of drugs and nothing works like the Imitrex shot that I took 10 years ago. They worked great but after awhile it lost it's effect. I would like to try some of the new triptans or even Imitrex again but I have been told that I am too old to take them. I am on atenolol 25mg & enalapril 2.5mg. I started the atenolol because of headaches when I was 50. My blood pressure now is well under control however. I am using but/apap/caf tab now to help with the pain but it does not allow me to lead a more normal life like Imitrex did. My family doctor says she doesn't know why I cannot take it but the neurologist says NO. Who can I believe!!! Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. Joyce.

    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:


    Dear Joyce;

    From what I'm hearing and my experience in my practice, for patients in good health, age is not at all a barrier to newer or older triptans. I have 80+ year olds on them regularly for continuing Migraines. Your neurologist may be just overly conservative.

    Good luck,
    John Claude Krusz and Teri Robert

    If you need to find a headache and Migraine specialist, please see our listing of patient recommended specialists.

    About Ask the Clinician:

    Dr. Krusz is a recognized expert in the fields of headache and Migraine treatment and pain treatment. Each week, he and Lead Expert Teri Robert, team up to answer your questions about headaches and Migraines. You can read more about Dr. Krusz or more about Teri Robert.

    If you have a question, please click HERE. Accepted questions will be answered by publishing the answers here. Due to the number of questions submitted, no questions will be answered privately, and questions will be accepted only when submitted via THIS FORM. Please do not submit questions via email, private message, or SharePost comments. Thank you.

    Please note: We cannot handle emergencies or diagnose via the Internet. Please do not ask us to diagnose; see your physician for diagnosis.

    We hope you find this general medical and health information useful, but this Q & A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. For all personal medical and health matters, including decisions about diagnoses, medications and other treatment options, you should always consult your doctor. See full Disclaimer.

Published On: August 13, 2007