Connecticut Migraine specialists, Midrin?

Ask the Clinician Health Pro
  • Full Question:

    I checked your list of headache and migraine specialists.  There isn't one single doctor in CT.  Now what?  My GP doctor has referred me to a neurologist, but I can't get an appointment until September and I am running out of Midrin, which I have been taking for over 20 years.  She refuses to switch me over to any other medicine, her explanation is that I have high blood pressure and it could be dangerous to my heart.


    What do I do?  This is getting very frustrating. Janice.


    Full Answer:

    Dear Janice;


    I fully understand your frustration, having had a similar experience myself. Unfortunately, with the death of Dr. Fred Sheftell a few months ago, we lost the only recommended specialist we had in Connecticut.

    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:


    The frustrating reality is that there's a nationwide shortage of Migraine and headache specialists. Several states have no specialists, leaving Migraineurs to travel to neighboring states. Living in Connecticut places you fairly close to New York, where there are several good specialists. The best suggestion I can offer you for finding a specialist is to look at the listings for New York and other neighboring states for a specialist.


    On the Midrin issue: Once you find a specialist, you still may have a wait of a few months for an appointment. If your doctor is comfortable with you taking Midrin, she could write a prescription that you could take to a compounding pharmacy, where they can make medication equivalent to Midrin for you. She'll need to write out the ingredients and amounts. Midrin contained: Isometheptene Mucate USP, 65 mg, Dichloralphenazone USP, 100 mg, and Acetaminophen USP, 325 mg.


    I feel for your frustration, and hope this information is helpful,
    Teri Robert



    To review other questions from our Ask the Clinician Column,
     browse the Ask the Clinician archives.


    If you need help finding a  Migraine and headache specialist,
     visit our listing of Patient Recommended Specialists.



    About Ask the Clinician:

    Dr. Krusz is a recognized expert in the fields of headache and  Migraine treatment and pain treatment. Each week, he and Lead Expert Teri Robert, team up to answer your questions about headaches and  Migraines. You can read more about Dr. Krusz or more about Teri Robert.


    If you have a question, please click HERE. Accepted questions will be answered by publishing the answers here. Due to the number of questions submitted, no questions will be answered privately, and questions will be accepted only when submitted via THIS FORM. Please do not submit questions via email, private message, or SharePost comments. Thank you.


    Please note: We cannot handle emergencies or diagnose via the Internet. Please do not ask us to diagnose; see your physician for diagnosis.


    We hope you find this general medical and health information useful, but this Q & A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. For all personal medical and health matters, including decisions about diagnoses, medications and other treatment options, you should always consult your doctor. See full Disclaimer.


    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:

    Follow Teri on    or 


    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape© Teri Robert and J.C. Krusz, 2011.
    Last updated May 24, 2011.

Published On: May 23, 2011