14-year-old with bulging disc and "tight head band" headache?

Ask the Clinician Health Pro
  • Full Question:

    my 14 year old daughter has a bulging disc in her neck... this was found via mri... i dont recall any one incident that could of caused it... but she plays a lot of sports and i mean she plays hard... steals and slides in softball and very aggressive 3rd baser... for the last 3mo she has had this horrible migraine that is constantly throbbing in the back of her head and on the sides of head but low on the sides like right above her ears.. she explains it like a tight head band only in the back of her head...no med or chiro service or iv drugs administered in er work.. the pressure and pounding never stops... could it be from the disc in her neck? Dena.

    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:



    Full Answer:

    Dear Dena;


    Headaches that are described as a "tight band" are often tension-type headaches, not Migraine. Has a doctor diagnosed your daughter with Migraine? Patients who have disc problems should be evaluated for cervicogenic headache. You can read more about cervicogenic headaches in Cervicogenic Headache - The Basics.s


    That said, we can only give you information. It's impossible to say via the Internet what involvement her neck may have or if this is Migraine, cervicogenic headache, or something else. The best advice we can offer is to get your doctor to a Migraine and headache specialist for evaluation and treatment. At 14, some "regular" specialists will be willing to see her; others would suggest a pediatric specialist. Locate those nearest you and call their offices to find out. It’s important to note that neurologists aren’t necessarily Migraine and headache specialists. Take a look at the article Migraine and Headache Specialists - What's So Special? If you need help finding a Migraine specialist, check our listing of Patient Recommended Migraine and Headache Specialists.


    Good luck,
    John Claude Krusz and Teri Robert



    To review other questions from our Ask the Clinician Column,
     browse the Ask the Clinician archives.


    If you need help finding a  Migraine and headache specialist,
     visit our listing of Patient Recommended Specialists.



    About Ask the Clinician:

    Dr. Krusz is a recognized expert in the fields of headache and  Migraine treatment and pain treatment. Each week, he and Lead Expert Teri Robert, team up to answer your questions about headaches and  Migraines. You can read more about Dr. Krusz or more about Teri Robert.


    If you have a question, please click HERE. Accepted questions will be answered by publishing the answers here. Due to the number of questions submitted, no questions will be answered privately, and questions will be accepted only when submitted via THIS FORM. Please do not submit questions via email, private message, or SharePost comments. Thank you.


    Please note: We cannot handle emergencies or diagnose via the Internet. Please do not ask us to diagnose; see your physician for diagnosis.


    We hope you find this general medical and health information useful, but this Q & A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. For all personal medical and health matters, including decisions about diagnoses, medications and other treatment options, you should always consult your doctor. See full Disclaimer.


    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:

    Follow Teri on    or 


    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape© Teri Robert and J.C. Krusz, 2011.
    Last updated July 8, 2011.

Published On: July 08, 2011