Need a drug with caffeine but no barbiturate to replace Cafergot?

Ask the Clinician Health Pro
  • Full Question:

    my Cafergot is discontinued tried Fioricet made it worse need a caffeine drug with no barbiturate thank you duane.


    Full Answer:

    Dear Duanne;


    Cafergot is a Migraine abortive medication, which means that it actually works to stop the Migraine, not just mask the pain or other symptoms for a few hours. Fioricet is not a Migraine abortive.


    Other Migraine abortive medications don't contain caffeine. The other abortives are the triptans (Imitrex, Maxalt, Zomig, Amerge, Relpax, Axert, and Frova -- as well as Treximet, which is a combination of Imitrex and Naproxen Sodium) -- and two other ergotamines (DHE-45 and Migranal Nasal Spray). Many people drink a caffeinated beverage when they take these abortives.

    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:


    One other option is to ask your doctor to give you a prescription that you can take to a compounding pharmacy, where they can make Cafergot equivalent medication for you.


    Good luck,
    John Claude Krusz and Teri Robert



    If you need help finding a  Migraine and headache specialist,
     visit our listing of Patient Recommended Specialists.



    About Ask the Clinician:

    Dr. Krusz is a recognized expert in the fields of headache and  Migraine treatment and pain treatment. Each week, he and Lead Expert Teri Robert, team up to answer your questions about headaches and  Migraines. You can read more about Dr. Krusz or more about Teri Robert.


    If you have a question, please click HERE. Accepted questions will be answered by publishing the answers here. Due to the number of questions submitted, no questions will be answered privately, and questions will be accepted only when submitted via THIS FORM. Please do not submit questions via email, private message, or SharePost comments. Thank you.


    Please note: We cannot handle emergencies or diagnose via the Internet. Please do not ask us to diagnose; see your physician for diagnosis.


    We hope you find this general medical and health information useful, but this Q & A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. For all personal medical and health matters, including decisions about diagnoses, medications and other treatment options, you should always consult your doctor. See full Disclaimer.


    Follow Teri on    or 


    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape© Teri Robert and J.C. Krusz, 2012.
    Last updated March 6, 2012.

Published On: March 06, 2012