Wife in hospital with severe Migraine; what to ask Dr. to try?

Ask the Clinician Health Pro
  • Full Question:

    My wife is in the hospital for a sever migraine they done mri after mri is they any thing I can ask the doc to try cause med not working and they don't tell me thing. Mike.


    Full Answer:

    Dear Mike;


    There are several IV treatments that can be used for a Migraine that isn't reacting to medications. You can find information on the in IV Treatment of Refractory Migraines. Often, a simple IV infusion of magnesium sulfate will stop the Migraine. If this doesn't work, there are several other medications listed in our article.


    Good luck,
    John Claude Krusz and Teri Robert



    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:


    About Ask the Clinician:

    Dr. Krusz is a recognized expert in the fields of headache and  Migraine treatment and pain treatment. Each week, he and Lead Expert Teri Robert, team up to answer your questions about headaches and  Migraines. You can read more about Dr. Krusz or more about Teri Robert.


    If you have a question, please click HERE. Accepted questions will be answered by publishing the answers here. Due to the number of questions submitted, no questions will be answered privately, and questions will be accepted only when submitted via THIS FORM. Please do not submit questions via email, private message, or SharePost comments. Thank you.


    Please note: We cannot diagnose, suggest specific treatment, or handle emergencies via the Internet. Please do not ask us to diagnose; see your physician for diagnosis. For an overview of how we can help and questions we can and can't answer, please see Seeking Migraine and Headache Diagnoses and Medical Advice.


    We hope you find this general medical and health information useful, but this Q & A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. For all personal medical and health matters, including decisions about diagnoses, medications and other treatment options, you should always consult your doctor. See full Disclaimer.


    Follow Teri on    or 


    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape© Teri Robert and J.C. Krusz, 2013.
    Last updated January 27, 2014.

Published On: January 27, 2014