3/3/08 #5 - What kind of doctor for daughter's atypical trigeminal neuralgia?

Ask the Clinician Health Pro
  • Full Question:
    I have a 16 years old daughter that has facial pain, it takes the nose and the left maxillary area including the teeth, the diagnosis was atypical trigeminal neuralgia. The doctor gave her Topamax. I decide to discontinue it, because she had all kind of reactions and the pain continues. What kind of doctor should I visit? All her blood test is ok. She had a CT done at its ok. Wanda.





    Dear Wanda;


    My suggestion is to contact the Trigeminal Neuralgia Society. One very good source of information would be a local spokesperson for that society. You can locate a spokesperson through their web site, www.fpa-support.org or by calling them at 800-923-3608. Sometimes, neurosurgical procedures can help trigeminal neuralgia although most of the time medication to decrease neuropathic pain is the preferred first measure. Just because Topamax and work did work does not mean that are not other medication approaches.

    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:


    Good luck,
    John Claude Krusz and Teri Robert


    If you need to find a headache and Migraine specialist, please see our listing of patient recommended specialists.


    Another good source of information and support is our forum. To post to the forum, you'll need to register, even if you're already registered on the main section of our site. You can use the same email address and password for both registrations.



    About Ask the Clinician:

    Dr. Krusz is a recognized expert in the fields of headache and Migraine treatment and pain treatment. Each week, he and Lead Expert Teri Robert, team up to answer your questions about headaches and Migraines. You can read more about Dr. Krusz or more about Teri Robert.


    If you have a question, please click HERE. Accepted questions will be answered by publishing the answers here. Due to the number of questions submitted, no questions will be answered privately, and questions will be accepted only when submitted via THIS FORM. Please do not submit questions via email, private message, or SharePost comments. Thank you.


    Please note: We cannot handle emergencies or diagnose via the Internet. Please do not ask us to diagnose; see your physician for diagnosis.


    We hope you find this general medical and health information useful, but this Q & A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. For all personal medical and health matters, including decisions about diagnoses, medications and other treatment options, you should always consult your doctor. See full Disclaimer.


    © Teri Robert and J.C. Krusz, 2007.

    Last updated March 3, 2008.



Published On: March 03, 2008