What's the best treatment for migraine headaches? anna-maria
There is no one specific best treatment. You don't say if you need preventive treatment or abortive. The best Migraine treatment is a five-stage treatment:
- Accurate diagnosis and selection of a good doctor to work with.
- Trigger identification and management.
- Preventive therapies if you have three or more Migraines a month.
- Abortive medications.
- Rescue medications for times when abortives fail.
Here are some articles with more information:
- Preventive, Abortive, and Rescue Medications - What's the Difference?
- Migraine preventive medications: too many options to give up!
- Your Migraine and Headache Diary
John Claude Krusz and Teri Robert
About Ask the Clinician:
Dr. Krusz is a recognized expert in the fields of headache and Migraine treatment and pain treatment. Each week, he and Lead Expert Teri Robert, team up to answer your questions about headaches and Migraines. You can read more about Dr. Krusz or more about Teri Robert.
If you have a question, please click HERE. Accepted questions will be answered by publishing the answers here. Due to the number of questions submitted, no questions will be answered privately, and questions will be accepted only when submitted via THIS FORM. Please do not submit questions via email, private message, or SharePost comments. Thank you.
Please note: We cannot handle emergencies or diagnose via the Internet. Please do not ask us to diagnose; see your physician for diagnosis.
We hope you find this general medical and health information useful, but this Q & A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. For all personal medical and health matters, including decisions about diagnoses, medications and other treatment options, you should always consult your doctor. See full Disclaimer.
© Teri Robert and J.C. Krusz, 2008.
Last updated September 4, 2008.