Review – “Understanding Migraine and Other Headaches”
by Stewart J. Tepper, MD
Ranking 5 stars out of 5
We all need some good books about headaches and Migraine in our libraries. The newly released "Understanding Migraine and Other Headaches" is a quite worthy addition to anyone's library. Written "for general readers," the book is, "a comprehensive overview of causes, diagnoses, and treatments" written in a logical, easy flowing style. You'll find it complete, up-to-date, and easy to understand.
"Understanding Migraine..." was written by Dr. Stewart J. Tepper, Director of the New England Center for Headache, and a top practitioner in the field. He is:
"passionately interested in having people understand that migraine, cluster, and the primary headaches are not "just headaches". They are neurologic illnesses with multiple symptoms and causes. We have dramatically increased our understanding of these disorders, and knowledge is power! We can intervene in a variety of ways to allow people to re-take their lives, and I hope the book and its content can expedite that."
He also told me:
"I think patient education the most important aspect of care for headaches. The more people know, the better they can control their headaches, instead of having the headaches control them."
Since these remarks make Dr. Tepper the kind of doctor we all want, it logically follows that this book is excellent.
Key Topics and Strengths of the Book
- Explanation of "primary headaches" and diagnostic criteria.
- The Neck and Migraine
- Hormonal factors
- Genetic factors
- Migraine, meds, and pregnancy
- Excellent information about Acute treatment and prevention
- Clear discussion of headaches, including some forms not commonly found in patient-oriented books.
- Evaluating disability
- New areas of research
One of the strongest points of this book is Dr. Tepper's addressing types of headaches and points about headaches and Migraine not always readily found:
- The connection between neck pain and Migraine
- Migraine and comorbidity with other conditions
- Excellent discussion of the role of serotonin
- The usefulness and preference for stratified care
- Breaking rebound headache
- Superb section on cluster headaches
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Hemicrania continua
- New persistent daily headache
- Headache associated with sex, exercise, and cough