It's bad enough that we have to deal with unfriendly environments when we're away from home. Our homes should be our refuge, the place that's safest and most comfortable for us. Let's take a look at ways to make our homes more friendly toward us when we have a Migraine or headache:
1) Reduce or eliminated perfumed and fragranced items in your home, especially if they're a trigger for you. If fragrance seems not to be a problem for you, or if it's a minor problem, limit yourself to a single fragrance rather than mixing fragrances. Consider candles, room fresheners, potpourri, etc.
Remember, fragrances can quickly gang up on us when we have a headache or Migraine. They can very quickly add to our nausea, making our home an unpleasant place for us. So, plan ahead, and reduce fragrances now.
2) Following the fragrance thought: If you're sensitive to fragrances, keep that in mind when you shop for cleaning products. Even if they don't contain fragrance, the smell of the chemicals in them can linger and either be a trigger or make you feel worse if you have a headache or Migraine. Even some of the products that make the bathroom bowl "sparkling blue" have fragrance, so read the labels.3) Make a room your "comfort room" where you can retreat.
- Choose a room that's in as quiet an area of your house as possible.
- Install darkening shades on the windows so you can make it as dark as possible.
- If you're more comfortable lying down when you have a headache or Migraine, be sure there's a comfortable place to lie down. If you need to sit or recline, try a nice recliner or comfortable chair.
- Put a small lamp with a low wattage bulb in your room.
- Be sure to have a box of tissues and a trash can.
- Some people find that the fragrance of peppermint or peppermint candy can help with nausea. If you're one of those people, keep a peppermint candle or some peppermint candy in your room.
- If you can tolerate soft sound, you may want to have a CD player with soft music CD's or a relaxation CD.
- Check to see that other items of necessity and comfort are close.
- This can also be a good place for your meds, as mentioned below.