In an article published in Current Pain and Headache Reports, Dr. Todd Rozen summarized the situation of people with ice pick headaches quite succinctly:
"The short-lasting headache syndromes are unique based on their short duration of pain and their associated symptoms. Physicians need to be knowledgeable about these syndromes because each has its own distinct treatment and if the diagnosis is missed, the patient can be burdened with extreme headache-related disability."2
If you're experiencing what you think may be ice pick headaches, please don't just assume that's what they are. Log them in your diary, and go see your doctor. As with any other head pain, there can be too many possible causes to guess. A doctor's diagnosis is vital.
Have you learned about ice pick headaches from this article? Take our quiz, and find out!
For information on types of Migraines and headaches, please see:
- Alice In Wonderland Syndrome – The Basics
- Basilar-Type Migraine - the Basics
- Chronic Daily Headache - The Basics
- Cluster Headaches - The Basics
- Hemicrania Continua - The Basics
- Hemiplegic Migraine - The Basics
- Hypnic Headaches – The Basics
- Ice Pick Headaches - The Basics
- Migraine – What is It?
- Migraine With Aura - the Basics
- Migraine Without Aura - the Basics
- New Daily Persistent Headache – The Basics
- Paroxysmal Hemicrania – The Basics
- Primary Exertional Headache - The Basics
- Pseudotumor Cerebri (IIH) – The Basics
- Retinal Migraine - The Basics
- Status Migrainous - The Basics
- Tension-Type Headaches - The Basics
- Transformed Migraine - The Basics
1 Newman, Lawrence C., MD. "Effective Management of Ice Pick Pains, SUNCT, and Episodic and Chronic Paroxysmal Hemicrania." Current Pain and Headache Reports 2001, 5:292–299.
2 Rozen, Todd D., MD. Short-lasting Headache Syndromes and Treatment Options. Current Pain and Headache Reports 2004, 8:268–273
3 Young, William B., MD, and Silberstein, Stephen, D., MD. "Migraines and Other Headaches." American Academy of Neurology Press Quality of Life Guide. 2004. pp 140-141.
4 Tepper, Stewart J., MD. "Understanding Migraine and Other Headaches." University Press of Mississippi. 2004. pp 97-98.
Medical review by John Claude Krusz, PhD, MD