• Lisa Emrich
    Health Guide
    January 15, 2009
    Lisa Emrich
    Health Guide
    January 15, 2009

    Hi Maris,


    You've got spasticity in the legs too, huh?  Mine has been rather painful before.  What I'm doing now for my spasticity include the following - Baclofen, Physical Therapy, and plenty of Potassium and fluids.


    I also take Gabapentin (Neurontin) for nerve pain and it is supposed to help with spasticity somewhat.  But to be honest, it has done nothing to touch my spasticity.  Gabapentin and Lyrica have some chemical qualities in common.


    For an idea of what other treatments are common for spasticity in MS, start with the Spasticity Page on the NMSS website.  Be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the page for further resources.


    My recommendation is to consult your neurologist (and perhaps your rheumatologist) so that you can get a professional opinion on what treatment plan would be right for you.  I hope you begin feeling better soon.



  • Merely Me
    Health Guide
    January 15, 2009
    Merely Me
    Health Guide
    January 15, 2009

    Hello Maris!


    This is such a huge issue to deal with when you have MS and I am sorry that what your doctor is giving you is not working for you.  Has your doc talked about any other options?


    I am not a doctor myself...just another MS patient but I will be glad to give you some information and research which may prove useful.


    We have some excellent information here on Health Central about treatments for most of the symptoms of MS including pain and spasticity.  Here you will find a detailed list of treatments.


    The National MS Society also has tons of information about things that may help with your specific symptoms which you can find here.


    I also found an excellent article about the pain associated with MS and what to do about it.


    Two medications which I have heard do help with spasticity and pain associated with MS are Baclofen and Neurontin.


    Here is information about Baclofen for spasticity.


    And here is information about Neurontin for pain.


    Another treatment method I have been hearing about lately is the use of Botox. 


    And according to the Multiple Sclerosis International Federation:  "Other techniques which may help pain include massage, ultrasound, chiropractic treatments, hydrotherapy, acupuncture, transcutaneous nerve stimulation (TENS), moist heat and ice."


    I hope this helps some.  I have Baclofen to help me and I also do a lot of stretching.  Everyone is different so what works for one person will not work for all. 


    I do thank you for your question and please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.







  • Denise Coleman January 18, 2009
    Denise Coleman
    January 18, 2009

    You have already gotten two excellent responses from Lisa and Merely Me, so I am just going to add one piece of information.  I have an intrathecal pump implanted in my abdomen that delivers Morphine, Bupivicaine and Baclofen to my central nervous system to manage my chronic pain from my spine condition and the spasticity from my MS.  Although my pump is primarily for pain management some people have successfully used Intrathecal Baclofen Pumps for severe spasticity.


    Intrathecal pumps are not appropriate for everyone, however if you have severe spasticity it may be something to look into.  Medtronics is the type of pump I have.  The following is a link to the page on their web site on Baclofen Pumps.

    They also have information on Multiple Sclerosis and another area just on spasticity that you can navigate to once you are at their site.


    I cannot say if this is the right treatment for you, each of us is different and our bodies will react to medications and delivery systems differently.  Only a doctor can tell you whether this is something that can benefit you, however it seems that many doctors are not yet aware of this delivery system for Baclofen.  I am under the care of a pain management specialist for my chronic pain and he is the doctor who recommended the pump.  I had the pump implanted in 2000, and it has helped manage my pain better than anything else in over 40 years.


    This may not be the right approach for you, but I hope that you find something that will provide you with relief. Best Wishes.

You should know Answers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition. Content posted by community members does not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media, which also reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate.