Thursday, October 30, 2014

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 ladygraycloud, Community Member, asks

Q: What is Dawson Finger?

I have just joined and my only info on my MS is Dawson Finger. What is it?

Answer This
Answers (2)
Lisa Emrich, Health Guide
1/ 7/09 12:23pm

Hi LadyGrayCloud,


Welcome to MS Central.  There are some greatly supportive people here.  I'm so sorry to hear that you've recently been diagnosed with MS, but at least knowing what it is, now you can know what you're up against.


Dawson's Fingers is a term used to describe a particular type of lesion which is seen on MRI brain images.  Here is a radiology website which discusses Dawson's fingers (as well as lots of other MS-related MRI determinations).


Here's another radiology website which shows images of Dawson's Fingers and gives a little information about where they are typically located in the brain.


Basically, if Dawson's Fingers are seen on an MRI report, then MS would definitely be considered as a possible diagnosis because they are often seen in MS patients.


I hope that this gives you a lead into learning more about the types of lesions which can be found on the MRI scans.  It can be interesting stuff.


Thank you for your question and I'll look forward to seeing you around the community.



muppymup, Community Member
9/12/09 4:33pm

what is dawson finger

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By ladygraycloud, Community Member— Last Modified: 04/10/11, First Published: 01/07/09