Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Monday, March 21, 2011 helping mommy, Community Member, asks

Q: hi there i am tring to help my mom

hi there i am tring to help my mom she has MS and she is have the Electrical" pain sensations in her face and i was wondering if there is more people out here with the same thing and what they are doing to control the pain or what there Dr. has gave you to help you though it my mom is really having a hard time dealing she is losing weight since the pain will not let her eat or drink smoke or anything, walking is getting hard to do with the pain so bad that she can't go to work and her face is aging so fast ! so im asking you if you can HELP please answer me back if you like to you can e-mail me to at Mommycook1@hotmail.com thank so much

Answer This
Answers (2)
Lisa Emrich, Health Guide
3/21/11 12:40pm

The type of pain you describe is called trigeminal neuralgia.  First line treatment options include medication such as Tegretol or Neurontin.  Your mom should talk to her neurologist about treatment options.


Sometimes patients undergo surgery to try to relieve trigeminal neuralgia pain.  You can read about the types of surgeries in this patient handout written for a particular doctor's office.  Again, talk to the neurologist who may recommend consulting with a neurosurgeon.


I hope that your mom is able find something which will help relieve the pain enough so that she can get back to eating well, working, and enjoying life.

Vicki, Health Guide
3/24/11 10:00am

Hi helping mommy,

I think it is great that you want to help your mom. She is lucky to have you. The best way you can help her is to ask her to call her doctotor. There is help.

Very few people with MS also have trigeminal neuralgia, perhaps less than 4%. It is also commonly called TN for the initials, tic doloreux, or simply facial pain. It happens when the trigeminal nerve is compressed too tightly.

You are right to understand the pain. It is called the most intense pain of any MS symptom, and I have often read that it is one of the worst pains known to the medical community. I know it is the worst pain I have ever had. Although the intense pain usually lasts a short time, but the aftermath is painful as well.

It certainly interferes with daily life -- eating, drinking, talking. When the pain has subsided, there is still fear that it will return without warning. After a long period of attacks, the feeling that it will return never leaves. It does sound scary, doesn't it. Your mom will appreciate your understanding and kindness.

One of the best treatments, as Lisa said, is Tegritol, an anticonvulsant. When I first started using Tegritol, it was a long time before I had another attack. Then, when I had a major bout of several attacks, my doctor gave me another pain-killer to take on top of the Tegritol. I have not had a major attack since then, and I have been able to forget about it for long periods.

The good news is that treatment is available. Thank you for helping her. Please let us know how she is doing. Also please let me know if this is helpful to you.

Good luck, and keep in touch. Thank you. 

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By helping mommy, Community Member— Last Modified: 03/24/11, First Published: 03/21/11